Location: Flint, MI - PM - GTW Crossing (Downtown)

Flint railroad crossing in 1898This was the original crossing of both railroads.in downtown Flint. The PM came through first in 1859. The GTW came in 1871 and built west in 1876.

There is no indication that this crossing was interlocked. But it was staffed around-the-clock by the PM, probably a stop and proceed on signal.

This was a busy location until the GTW built their bypass around downtown in the early 1900's.


Time Line

1927. The crossing was staffed around the clock by a PM leverman. Rate of pay was 54¢ per hour. [PMTA]

Location: Flint, MI - PM - GTW Crossing (Downtown)

Flint railroad crossing in 1898This was the original crossing of both railroads.in downtown Flint. The PM came through first in 1859. The GTW came in 1871 and built west in 1876.

There is no indication that this crossing was interlocked. But it was staffed around-the-clock by the PM, probably a stop and proceed on signal.

This was a busy location until the GTW built their bypass around downtown in the early 1900's.


Time Line

1927. The crossing was staffed around the clock by a PM leverman. Rate of pay was 54¢ per hour. [PMTA]

Bibliography

The following sources are utilized in this website. [SOURCE-YEAR-MMDD-PG]:

  • [AAB| = All Aboard!, by Willis Dunbar, Eerdmans Publishing, Grand Rapids ©1969.
  • [AAN] = Alpena Argus newspaper.
  • [AARQJ] = American Association of Railroads Quiz Jr. pamphlet. © 1956
  • [AATHA] = Ann Arbor Railroad Technical and Historical Association newsletter "The Double A"
  • [AB] = Information provided at Michigan History Conference from Andrew Bailey, Port Huron, MI

Contact Us

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

 
Email: webmaster@michiganrailroads.com

Social