Station: Niagara, WI

CNW 1596 switches at Niaagra, WI Niagara is a town in northern Marinette County along the lower falls of the Menominee River opposite Quinnesec/Iron Mountain, Michigan. The town is reached by rail from a CN branch line from Quinnessec. The town had a large paper mill and warehouse.

Image info: C&NW 1596 switches box cars at Niagara, Wisconsin in 1980. [Neil Plagens photo, Mark Andersen Collection]


Notes

Menominee River Bridge. In 1898 the C&NW built a bridge over this river to reach the Kimberly-Clark paper plant in Niagra. Overall, the bridge is 18' wide and 320' long and consists of two steel through trusses resting on concrete piers and abutments. One span is a pin-connected Pratt truss 200' long while the other is a pin-connected triple-intersection Warren truss 120' in length. [UPM]


Time Line

1900. The Kimberly and Clark Company built a large pulp and paper mill here. A sulfite plant was also in place here to make chemicals for processing wood products.[LSMI/1900] The plant operated for 100 years. Rail service to the plant in 2022 still exists but is not utilized.

1923. The branch to Niagara was reached from Quinnesec. (Note, this likely was earlier). [MRL]

Station: Niagara, WI

CNW 1596 switches at Niaagra, WI Niagara is a town in northern Marinette County along the lower falls of the Menominee River opposite Quinnesec/Iron Mountain, Michigan. The town is reached by rail from a CN branch line from Quinnessec. The town had a large paper mill and warehouse.

Image info: C&NW 1596 switches box cars at Niagara, Wisconsin in 1980. [Neil Plagens photo, Mark Andersen Collection]


Notes

Menominee River Bridge. In 1898 the C&NW built a bridge over this river to reach the Kimberly-Clark paper plant in Niagra. Overall, the bridge is 18' wide and 320' long and consists of two steel through trusses resting on concrete piers and abutments. One span is a pin-connected Pratt truss 200' long while the other is a pin-connected triple-intersection Warren truss 120' in length. [UPM]


Time Line

1900. The Kimberly and Clark Company built a large pulp and paper mill here. A sulfite plant was also in place here to make chemicals for processing wood products.[LSMI/1900] The plant operated for 100 years. Rail service to the plant in 2022 still exists but is not utilized.

1923. The branch to Niagara was reached from Quinnesec. (Note, this likely was earlier). [MRL]

Bibliography

The following sources are utilized in this website. [SOURCE-YEAR-MMDD-PG]:

  • [AAB| = All Aboard!, by Willis Dunbar, Eerdmans Publishing, Grand Rapids ©1969.
  • [AAN] = Alpena Argus newspaper.
  • [AARQJ] = American Association of Railroads Quiz Jr. pamphlet. © 1956
  • [AATHA] = Ann Arbor Railroad Technical and Historical Association newsletter "The Double A"
  • [AB] = Information provided at Michigan History Conference from Andrew Bailey, Port Huron, MI

Contact Us

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

 
Email: webmaster@michiganrailroads.com

Social