Location: 21st Street Engine House, Detroit, MI

PM locomotive at 24st Street

The Pere Marquette had an engine house at 21st street which had a 100' three-bearing, electric turntable. It was in place as of 1942.

Photo Info: Pere Marquette 1230 is photographed nearby crossing 24th Street in Detroit in 1948. [Jim Olmstead photo, Charles Geletzke Jr. collection]


This engine house was used by the PM and the PRR passenger engines. [TSD]

The PRR built a large coaling dock here, next to the Coach Yard. [CQII]

Time Line

~1922. The PRR purchases 4.6 acres adjacent to the original PM roundhouse and coach yard for replacement of the roundhouse. [CQII]

1955. The C&O begins using the MC tunnel and stops using this roundhouse, moving diesel motive power to the engine house at Rougemere. [TSD]

1959. The PRR ends passenger service to FSUD and discontinues use of this round house, which is closed. [TSD]


The following sources are utilized in this website. [SOURCE-YEAR-MMDD-PG]:

  • [AAB| = All Aboard!, by Willis Dunbar, Eerdmans Publishing, Grand Rapids ©1969.
  • [AAN] = Alpena Argus newspaper.
  • [AARQJ] = American Association of Railroads Quiz Jr. pamphlet. © 1956
  • [AATHA] = Ann Arbor Railroad Technical and Historical Association newsletter "The Double A"
  • [AB] = Information provided at Michigan History Conference from Andrew Bailey, Port Huron, MI

Contact Us

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Email: webmaster@michiganrailroads.com