Station: Midland, MI

MC Midland Depot MC Midland MI Depot MC Midland MI Depot PM Midland Depot PM Midland MI Depot PM Midland MI Depot PM Midland MI DepotMidland was settled about 1836 as a farming area and then as a lumbering town and chemical processing from brine and salt. It is now headquarters of Dow Chemical. Midland was incorporated as a village in 1869 and a city in 1887. [MPN]

Midland is served by two railroads as well as short lines into the forest. The Pere Marquette railroad came through here with their line from Saginaw to Ludington. The Michigan Central also purchased a branch line from Bay City to this location. Both are operated by short lines today however the former PM line ends at the Dow Chemical facilities.

Photo Info: Top photo, an early version of the MC Midland depot. [CMUL]. 2nd and 3rd photos are of a newer Michigan Central depot at Midland. [Alan Loftis]. 4th, a view of the Pere Marquette Midland depot and train. [Greg Bunce collection]. 5th photo, a postcard view of the Pere Marquette depot at Midland. 6th an old photo of a steam locomotive taking on water in front of the PM depot. 7th photo, another photo of a train arriving at the PM depot. [Alan Loftis collection]


Time Line

1867. The Flint & Pere Marquette builds to Midland from Saginaw. It is extended to Averill the following year, reaching Ludington in 1874. [MRL]

1889. The Bay City & Battle Creek railway build their line from west Bay City to Midland. It becomes the MC Midland Branch. [MRL]

1895. July 23. This afternoon fire broke out and completely destroyed the large warehouse of the tub and pail factory belonging to the Midland Wooden Ware Co. situated at the northwest limits of our city boundary. The building was 125 x 40 feet and two stories high. The fire is supposed to have originated from flying sparks from a passing freight engine that passed the building a short time before the fire was discovered. [DFP-1895-0724]

1904. A disastrous washout occurred on the PM at the western limits of the city this afternoon, when a culvert over Snake Creek went out with a roar, and at the same time the flood tore gaping holes through the roadbed, leaving the rails suspended in midair. A few minutes before the culvert gave way the westbound afternoon train passed over. The passengers felt the track tremble and rock. The PM has two big crews from Saginaw working tonight repairing the break and it is thought that the road will be open for through traffic sometime tomorrow. Reports from various parts of the county indicate that the county is submerged for miles. Several small bridges re reported as having gone out. [DFP-1904-0326]

1907. The PM erected a new station at this location in 1907. [PMAR-1907]

1910. The PM installed electrically operated block signals in Midland. [PMAR-1910]

1989. The CSX line (former F&PM) west of Midland is abandoned. [MRL]


The following sources are utilized in this website. [SOURCE-YEAR-MMDD-PG]:

  • [AAB| = All Aboard!, by Willis Dunbar, Eerdmans Publishing, Grand Rapids ©1969.
  • [AAN] = Alpena Argus newspaper.
  • [AARQJ] = American Association of Railroads Quiz Jr. pamphlet. © 1956
  • [AATHA] = Ann Arbor Railroad Technical and Historical Association newsletter "The Double A"
  • [AB] = Information provided at Michigan History Conference from Andrew Bailey, Port Huron, MI

Contact Us

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input