Station: Mount Pleasant, MI

AA Mt. Pleasant depot AA Mt. Pleasant depot xxxxxxxx PM Mt. Pleasant depot PM Mt. Pleasant depot PM Mt. Pleasant depotFirst Diesel at Mt. Pleasant Mount Pleasant is the county seat of Isabella County and located near the center. It was founded in 1859. It became a village in 1875 and a city in 1889.

Two railroads served Mount Pleasant. The Pere Marquette built a branch line here from Coleman in 1879 and the forerunner to the Ann Arbor Railroad built north into town in 1886 and then north in 1888.

Photo Info: Top and 2nd, the Ann Arbor railroad depot at Mt. Pleasant. 3rd photo, the same depot in 2004. [Top and 3rd, Alan Loftis collection. 3rd, David McKeill collection] 4th photo, the PM depot at Mt. Pleasant [CMUL]. 5th photo, the C&O depot at Mt. Pleasant in 1977, now a private residence. 6th photo, a 1968 view. [7th and 8th, Charles Geletzke Jr.]. 9th photo, the first diesel arrives at Mt. Pleasant in 1947. This is Pere Marquette #22. [Norm Lyons photo]


Notes


Time Line

1900. This is a telegraph station on the Ann Arbor railroad. [OG-1900]

1906. The PM erects a new depot here. [PMAR-1906]

1916. The railroad builds a new engine house at this location. [MCR-1916]

1918. The AARR had 1st and 2nd trick operators here. [TRT]


Industry

  • Refinery, operated by Roosevelt Oil (1931-1947), Roosevelt Oil & Refining (1948-1954 and Leonard Refinery (1955-1969). Served by the AA and PM railroads. [MW]

Station: Mount Pleasant, MI

AA Mt. Pleasant depot AA Mt. Pleasant depot xxxxxxxx PM Mt. Pleasant depot PM Mt. Pleasant depot PM Mt. Pleasant depotFirst Diesel at Mt. Pleasant Mount Pleasant is the county seat of Isabella County and located near the center. It was founded in 1859. It became a village in 1875 and a city in 1889.

Two railroads served Mount Pleasant. The Pere Marquette built a branch line here from Coleman in 1879 and the forerunner to the Ann Arbor Railroad built north into town in 1886 and then north in 1888.

Photo Info: Top and 2nd, the Ann Arbor railroad depot at Mt. Pleasant. 3rd photo, the same depot in 2004. [Top and 3rd, Alan Loftis collection. 3rd, David McKeill collection] 4th photo, the PM depot at Mt. Pleasant [CMUL]. 5th photo, the C&O depot at Mt. Pleasant in 1977, now a private residence. 6th photo, a 1968 view. [7th and 8th, Charles Geletzke Jr.]. 9th photo, the first diesel arrives at Mt. Pleasant in 1947. This is Pere Marquette #22. [Norm Lyons photo]


Notes


Time Line

1900. This is a telegraph station on the Ann Arbor railroad. [OG-1900]

1906. The PM erects a new depot here. [PMAR-1906]

1916. The railroad builds a new engine house at this location. [MCR-1916]

1918. The AARR had 1st and 2nd trick operators here. [TRT]


Industry

  • Refinery, operated by Roosevelt Oil (1931-1947), Roosevelt Oil & Refining (1948-1954 and Leonard Refinery (1955-1969). Served by the AA and PM railroads. [MW]

Bibliography

The following sources are utilized in this website. [SOURCE-YEAR-MMDD-PG]:

  • [AAB| = All Aboard!, by Willis Dunbar, Eerdmans Publishing, Grand Rapids ©1969.
  • [AAN] = Alpena Argus newspaper.
  • [AARQJ] = American Association of Railroads Quiz Jr. pamphlet. © 1956
  • [AATHA] = Ann Arbor Railroad Technical and Historical Association newsletter "The Double A"
  • [AB] = Information provided at Michigan History Conference from Andrew Bailey, Port Huron, MI

Contact Us

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

 
Email: webmaster@michiganrailroads.com

Social