Railroad: Detroit Terminal Railroad Company

Detroit Terminal Railroad Logo The Detroit Terminal Railroad was a belt line around central Detroit which connected various industrial facilities on the ring around Detroit, including Chrysler plants on the Detroit River east of downtown, the Ford Highland Park plant and Rouge Works in Dearborn. The railroad was jointly owned by the Grand Trunk Western (50%) and Vanderbilt roads ( Michigan Central and Lake Shore, each 25%). Most of the railroad was built between 1912 and 1914. In the 1980's the line started to be dismantled. The only section retained today is from North Yard (Detroit) to a newer Chrysler Plant near East Jefferson Avenue.

 


BuiltDetroit Terminal Railroad Conrail


Built: 1905 as a joint venture between 3 railroads.

Operated for 79 years.

Became: Conrail in 1984

Reference: [MRRC]


xxxxxxxxNotes

Owned at incorporation by Grand Trunk Western (50%), Lake Shore & Michigan Southern (25%) and Michigan Central (25%).

This was an industrial belt railroad which served many automotive assembly and supplier plants in the cities of Dearborn, Detroit, Hamtramck and Highland Park.

Even though the railroad was owned by major roads, it had its own main yard and locomotive facilities called Davison Yard, which was between Highland Park and North Detroit. Those facilities now make up the Mound Road correctional facility and Detroit Intake Center.

Photo Info: The DT railroad Davison Yard coaling tower in 1964. [Charles Geletzke Jr. photo]. The map below is from 1914.


Time Line

1916 - The Detroit Terminal railroad builds a new 100-ton coaling chute. [RR-1916-0101]

1918 - The DT adds three stalls to its roundhouse. [RR-1918-0105]

1920. The Detroit Terminal serves 127 industries with 244 sidings and a car capacity of 2,546 cars. They have seven sets of team tracks which hold 280 cars and 2 freight houses. [DWT-1920]


Map

Detroit Terminal Railroad Map 1914

Railroad: Detroit Terminal Railroad Company

Detroit Terminal Railroad Logo The Detroit Terminal Railroad was a belt line around central Detroit which connected various industrial facilities on the ring around Detroit, including Chrysler plants on the Detroit River east of downtown, the Ford Highland Park plant and Rouge Works in Dearborn. The railroad was jointly owned by the Grand Trunk Western (50%) and Vanderbilt roads ( Michigan Central and Lake Shore, each 25%). Most of the railroad was built between 1912 and 1914. In the 1980's the line started to be dismantled. The only section retained today is from North Yard (Detroit) to a newer Chrysler Plant near East Jefferson Avenue.

 


BuiltDetroit Terminal Railroad Conrail


Built: 1905 as a joint venture between 3 railroads.

Operated for 79 years.

Became: Conrail in 1984

Reference: [MRRC]


xxxxxxxxNotes

Owned at incorporation by Grand Trunk Western (50%), Lake Shore & Michigan Southern (25%) and Michigan Central (25%).

This was an industrial belt railroad which served many automotive assembly and supplier plants in the cities of Dearborn, Detroit, Hamtramck and Highland Park.

Even though the railroad was owned by major roads, it had its own main yard and locomotive facilities called Davison Yard, which was between Highland Park and North Detroit. Those facilities now make up the Mound Road correctional facility and Detroit Intake Center.

Photo Info: The DT railroad Davison Yard coaling tower in 1964. [Charles Geletzke Jr. photo]. The map below is from 1914.


Time Line

1916 - The Detroit Terminal railroad builds a new 100-ton coaling chute. [RR-1916-0101]

1918 - The DT adds three stalls to its roundhouse. [RR-1918-0105]

1920. The Detroit Terminal serves 127 industries with 244 sidings and a car capacity of 2,546 cars. They have seven sets of team tracks which hold 280 cars and 2 freight houses. [DWT-1920]


Map

Detroit Terminal Railroad Map 1914

Bibliography

The following sources are utilized in this website. [SOURCE-YEAR-MMDD-PG]:

  • [AAB| = All Aboard!, by Willis Dunbar, Eerdmans Publishing, Grand Rapids ©1969.
  • [AAN] = Alpena Argus newspaper.
  • [AARQJ] = American Association of Railroads Quiz Jr. pamphlet. © 1956
  • [AATHA] = Ann Arbor Railroad Technical and Historical Association newsletter "The Double A"
  • [AB] = Information provided at Michigan History Conference from Andrew Bailey, Port Huron, MI

Contact Us

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

 
Email: webmaster@michiganrailroads.com

Social