Mine: Fiborn Quarry, Fiborn, MI


Began → Fiborn Quarry Closed

From: 1904

Owned by: Fiborn Limestone Company

Produced: Limestone

Method: Open pit. Crushing plant.

Railroad connection: Branch off DSS&A, northwest of Trout Lake (branch installed in 1904).

Until: 1936

Lifetime Production: Product sold to Algoma Steel Corp. (Sault Saint Marie, ON)


FibornQuarryFormally known as Walker's Pit. [DSS]


Time Line

December 13, 1910. Two workers die when dynamite explodes prematurely while they pack sand in a blast hole 30' deep. Ruled an accident.

February, 1911. The boiler which runs the crusher explodes, killing one man and injuring several other. A new crusher plant is installed with a capacity of 1,500 tons per hour.

January, 1913. Quarry is purchased by Algoma Steel, as well as 240 acres of adjacent land. 

1921-1923. Quarry is closed frequently due to lack of demand. 

1936. Quarry is closed permanently.

Information from [CAVES.ORG]

Contact Us

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

 
Email: webmaster@michiganrailroads.com

Social