Timeline - 1914

  • January: The Michigan Railroad Commission issues order requiring 6 mph on timber bridges in Michigan. [RR-1914-0103:1]

  • June 1: Au Sable & Northwestern Railway is sold to the Detroit & Mackinac Railway.  [MRRC]  [GW] reports this date as of June 6.

  • July 8: Detroit, Almont & Northern Railroad opens line to Almont Township. (Detroit United Railway). [MRRC]

  • July 14: A water rush in the Balkan Mine in Palatka (Iron County) drowns seven miners.

  • July 15: The D&M is given permission to replace the full interlocking in Cheboygan with a swing gate, where their line crosses the MCRR McArthur Dock Spur. The gate is to be set against traffic on the D&M. [MSAI]

  • July 28: World War I begins. [DWS]


  • Michigan United Railway moves station operation to an existing building in Kalamazoo.  [IT-12/79]

  • Grand Trunk builds new depot at Capac.  Depot continues to exist as of 1974. [IT-12/1974]

  • Pere Marquette builds a new coal dock at Ensel Yard, west of Lansing.  The dock has a 150 ton capacity. [PM45]

  • Pere Marquette builds a new 2-chute, 100-ton capacity coaling station at Boardman Yard in Traverse City. [PM45]

  • The Highland Park plant of the Ford Motor Company is completed this year. [BOM]

  • Detroit Terminal Railroad (outer belt) is completed from East Jefferson to Michigan Central Railroad on the west side. [DWS]

  • The Milwaukee Road opens an extension of its branch line from Crystals Falls to Iron River. [MSL]

  • The Garden Bay Railroad, which began as a logging route in 1908, begins common carrier service over the 14 miles between arden Village and the Soo Line at Cooks, running two mixed trains daily. [MSL]

  • The Detroit, Bay City & Western Railroad completes its line from Snover to Sandusky, reaching Sandusky from Bay City, where it was started in 1910.  [Michigan RR History Conference, date unknown/RA-2-26-1915]]

  • The Copper Range builds a siding into Dollar Bay to reach a sawmill and other industries there. [CRH]

  • The Iron River, Stambaugh and Crystal Falls Street Railway opens its line between Iron River and Stambaugh. [ICHS]

  • COPR rebuilt a business car and names it the “Ranger”. It had a capacity of 27 passengers and was 60 feet long with an observation platform on both ends. [CRH]

  • First use of radio in railroad communications. [STOV] 

  • The GTW installed a new 44-lever interlocking plant at Tappan which included power operated distant signals. [TSE-1/1915]

 Timeline Key:

  • Railroad event in Michigan
  • Event relating to mining
  • Event related to car ferries
  • Event outside of Michigan
  • Improvement in Technology
  • Railroad built or extended
  • Railroad abandoned and/or removed
  • Economic panic or depression