Station: Kenton, MI
Kenton was located at milepost 233.4 on the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic railroad main line about 10 miles west of Sidnaw in Houghton County. It was first settled in 1889 as a lumber town. It had a station on the DSS&A. The location is in Section 11, T48N-R36W.
Photo Info/Credit: Top, the DSS&A depot at Kenton, MI. [Alan Loftis collection]. 2nd photo, another view of the Kenton depoit and town.
1889. The DSS&A crossed over the Jumbo River near Kenton on a trestle which was built in 1899. The trestle is 8' wide and 200' long and consists of three distinct sections. There are two timber trestle approach sections, each 75' long and a single steel deck girder span resting on steel piers, 50' in length. [UPM]
1918. The DSS&A had an operator/agent and assistant here during the day shift. [TRT]
Pine lumber mill located here in the late 1880s. [DSS]