Location: Michigan Smelter, Houghton, MI

The Michigan Smelter was a copper smelting facility located on the hillside of Portage Lake near Cole's Creek, west of Houghton. The smelter was built in 1903-4 as a joint effort by the Copper Range Company and Stanton group of mines. An Atlantic Mine dam on the site was reused by the smelter as a water source. The smelter closed all operations in 1948. The smelter had a capacity of 90 million pounds annually and was the largest and most efficient on Lake Superior. [Wiki]

Several mills sent material to the Michigan Smelter, including the Atlantic, Baltic, Champion, Mohawk, Trimountain and Wolverine mines. The smelter was served by the Copper Range railroad.