Station: Eaton Rapids, MI
Eaton Rapids was settled in southeast Eaton County in 1838 along a rapids on the Grand River. It was incorporated as a village in 1859 and a city in 1881. [MPN]
Two railroads crossed each other at Eaton Rapids. The Grand River Valley (later Michigan Central Grand Rapids branch) came through from Jackson in 1868, and the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern's Lansing branch was built through town five years later in 1873.
Photo info/credts: Top, a turn-of-the-century photo of the Michigan Central station at Eaton Rapids. 2nd photo, another view of the depot with a passenger train stopped in front. 3rd photo, another photo of the MC staton with an approaching train. [Alan Loftis Collection].
4th and 5th are photographs of the MC depot in 2002 and 2007. [Alan Loftis]. 5th, 6th and 7th are photos of the inside of the depot in 2007. [Alan Loftis]
The LSMS/NYC had a water tower at Eaton Rapids in 1926. [NYCtt1926]
August, 1877. The Eaton Rapids Robbers Sentenced - Charlotte, Aug. 1. - George Croke and Frank Daily, who committed the robbery at the Eaton Rapids depot Sunday morning, were sentenced by Judge Van Zile this morning, Croke to thirty-five and Daily to twenty-five years. They were taken to Jackson [Prison] by Sheriff Smoke. This afternoon, Officer Pollock telegraphed the arrest of their accomplice Frank Georgia, at Greenville. Part of the stolen property was found on his person. [DFP-8/2/1877[