Industry: Michigan Car Company, Detroit, MI
Built → Michigan Car Co. → Michigan-Peninsular Car Co. (1892) → American Car and Foundry (1899) → xxxxx
The Michigan Car Company manufactured railroad cars in Detroit.
1872. The Michigan Car Company have commenced the erection of two foundries on the plat of land purchased by them last spring, situated within a few rods of the Grand Trunk Junction. The first building will be the foundry for small castings, and will be in dimensions 32 by 152, walls 17 feet above the base. The second will be the wheel foundry, dimensions 52 by 132, same height, with an addition 31 by 65. The material will be brick throughout, with a stone foundation rising some three feet above the ground. The walls of the furnace are nearly up now and the wood work being prepared to set in place next week. Edward Garret has taken the contract for the erection of the buildings, and has sub-let the mason work to Henry Chamberlain. [DFP-1872-0908]
1873. A gang of men have commenced excavating on Michigan avenue beyond the city limits, for an eight-inch pipe to be laid to the Michigan Car Company's works, making connection with the main on Baker Street. [DFP-1873-0523] Gas pipes have also been extended. [DFP-1873-0613]
1873. The Michigan Car Co. relocates to the northeast quadrant of Grand Trunk Junction (West Detroit). The company was founded by John S. Newberry and James McMillan.
1878. Mr. and Mrs. James McMillan and daughter returned from Europe yesterday. When the train on which he was a passenger reached the Michigan Car Company's works in Springwells, the employees ran out and saluted Mr. McMillan with cheers and other welcoming demonstrations. [DFP-1878-0615]
1889. November 27. The Michigan Car Works are building 300 freight cars for the Flint & Pere Marquette railroad. The new Port Huron division and other extensions have occasioned the order. The new cars will be delivered before February 1. [DFP-1889-1127]
1892. The company merged with the Peninsular Car Company to become the Michigan-Peninsular Car Company, the largest manufacturer of railcars at the time. In 1899, it merged with smaller firms to form the American Car and Foundry.