Station: Fort Street Union Station, Detroit, MI
Fort Street Union Station was located on the corner of Fort Street and 3rd Street near the riverfront in downtown Detroit. This was a stub-end station at the end of the Union Belt railroad, which was jointly operated by the Pere Marquette, Pennsylvania and Wabash railroads. The Baltimore and Ohio also used the station for a short period after their merger with the C&O.
Photo info/credit: Top, two postcard views of the Union Depot in Detroit. 2nd photo, a 1966 view of the station platforms and train shed. [Charles Geletzke Jr]; 3rd photo two C&O trains awaiting to deparft FSUD in the 1960's.
The entrance to this station was controlled by the 6th Street Interlocking tower.
Location: 42o19.640'N / 83o03.267'W.
The following is an article from the February 2, 1946 edition of Railway Age, submitted by Jeff Feldmeier:
Begin Remodeling of Detroit Station
More convenience and space is objective of $500,000 one-year program
Involving a total cost of $500,000 and several months of planning, a modernization project for the Fort Street Union Station in Detroit, Mich., has been started and is expected to be completed within a year. The work is being carried on by the Walbridge, Aldinger Company, Detroit, under the supervision of M. M. Cronk and O. E. Hager, general manager and chief engineer, respectively, of the Fort Street Union Depot Company.
The station is used by the trains of the Pennsylvania, the Pere Marquette and the Wabash. In addition to trains which the Pere Marquette operates on its own lines, it also operates through trains in and out of the station in conjunction with the Baltimore & Ohio and the Chesapeake & Ohio by way of Toledo, Ohio.
The principal objective of the remodeling plan consists of the removal from the ground floor of many functions not essential to the welfare of the traveling public and which now occupy space badly needed for public accommodations. Under the present set-up, the ground floor is occupied by the ticket office, restaurant, newsstand, Travelers' Aid station, information counter, ladies' room, check room, and the offices of the stationmaster, passenger agent, Pullman agent, ticket agent station accountants, restaurant kitchen, storeroom and other miscellaneous functions. All of these not considered essential to direct public use will be removed to a newly-constructed second floor, provisions for which will be made by erecting a new ceiling over the waiting room at a height of one and one-half stories. The work will also include building of a new train gate wall with large and direct exits at either end and six large doors leading to the waiting room.
Old views of Fort Street Union Station:
Dale Berry recommends watching an early 1970's movie "Detroit 9000" to see views of Fort Street Union Station and 6th Street interlocking tower after they were abandoned. This is a cops and robbers movie which was filmed in cooperation with the City of Detroit. Some of the chase scenes and gun battles at the end of the movie are at the old station and around the interlocking tower. A mounted police officer gallops down the railroad right-of-way! Its a pretty bad movie but its fun to see the old footage. They shoot out an awful amount of glass in the depot. The movie is available at Amazon for about $10.
1904. In a lawsuit by the Pere Marquette railroad against the Wabash railroad and the Detroit Union Railroad Depot & Station Company, Judge Brooke ordered that the PM and Wabash will have equal rights in the Union depot ground the tracks. [PHTH-1904-0521]