Station: Belleville, MI

WAB Belleville MI Depot WAB Belleville MI Depot WAB Belleville MI Depot Belleville, in western Wayne County, was settled about 1826 on the Huron River. In the last 1880's the Wabash Railroad came through here and established a station stop. The town was incorporated as a village in 1905 and a city in 1946. [MPN]

Photo info: Top, 2nd and 3rd photos, three views of the Wabash depot at Belleville. [Alan Loftis collection]


Time Line

August 8, 1888. Train No. 27, the eastbound freight train and westbound passenger train No. 98 on the Wabash, collided at Belleville, which is the regular meeting place of the two trains, and order is for No. 27 sidetrack and wait for No. 98. Instead, No. 27 went sweeping around the curve west of the station and crashed into the passenger train, lifting the locomotive off the front trucks and forcing the passenger train back about forty car lengths. No one was killed or injured. [TTN-1888-0808]