Station: Lake City, MI
Lake City was settled in 1868. It became the county seat in 1873 by one vote. It was a station on the Grand Rapids & Indiana branch line and renamed Lake City in 1877. It became a village in 1889 and a city in 1932. [MPN]
Lake City is about seven miles northeast of Cadillac. It was located on a Grand Rapids & Indiana railroad branch line which went east from Missaukee Junction about 25 miles to the west side of Houghton Lake in Roscommon County. Lake City was not actually on the branch, but on its own mile long spur which left the branch north along the east side of Lake Missaukee at Sandstown.
Photo Info/Credit: Top, this is the local section crew at Lake City. In addition to the crew and their car and trailer, milk cans are at the right, and the depot and water tower are in the background. Early 1900's. 2nd photo, Cadillac & Lake City 127, an ex-Canadian Pacific locomotive) pulls a short passenger train at Lake City, Michigan in 1969. 3rd photo, C&LS No. 2 sits in front of the engine house at Lake City. July, 1967. 4th photo, C&LS No. 11 takes on water at Lake City. 4th photo, C&LS No. 2 pulls an excursion passenger train near Lake City in July, 1967. [All, Doug Leffler]