Station: Spalding, MI
Spalding was settled about 1872 when the Chicago & North Western railroad came through here on their line between Powers and Escanaba. The town supported the harvesting and processing of forest products. [MPN] Spalding is located about one mile east of Powers.
Big Cedar River Bridge. This is a single-span riveted steel triple-intersection Warren truss, 12' wide and 120' long,, resting on concrete abutments. Since the C&NW line went through this part of Menominee County in 1877, this is probably the second bridge at this location, built about 1917. It is virtually identical to a 1917 bridge built for the same railroad in nearby Stephenson. [UPM]
1918. The C&NW had an agent operator here on the day shift. [TRT]