Railroad: Flint & Pere Marquette railroad


BuiltFlint & Pere Marquette RRPere Marquette

Built: 1862 from Mount Morris to Saginaw

Became: PM in 1899.

Reference: [MRRC]


The Flint & Pere Marquette assembled the following railroads before sale to the Pere Marquette [MRRC]:

  • Genesee and Oakland railroad consolidation - 1859
  • Original line opened from Mount Morris to Saginaw - 1862.
  • Consolidate Flint & Holly - 1868
  • Control of Bay City & East Saginaw - 1868 (Consolidate in 1872)
  • Consolidation of Holly, Wayne and Monroe - 1872
  • Consolidation of the Cass River Railroad - 1872
  • Line extended Otter Lake to Caro - 1872
  • Control of East Saginaw and St. Clair - 1872
  • Line completed Monrot to Ludington - 1874
  • Control of Saginaw & Clare County - 1877
  • Control of Saginaw & Mt. Pleasant - 1879
  • Control of Manistee Ry. - 1880
  • Bought Port Huron & Northwestern - 1889
  • Joint lease of Detroit Union Railroad Depot & Station - 1889
  • Joint control of Fort Street Union Depot - 1889
  • Control of Monroe & Toledo railroad - 1893 (purchased in 1897)

October 4, 1895, Flint & Pere Marquette. - The company is extending its Harrison branch northwest, and now has it partially completed almost to the Muskegon River. The objective point is not made public, as the surveyors work only a mile or so ahead of the grading forces. [RG]