Fort: Fort Gratiot, Fort Gratiot, MI (1814)
Built (1814) → Fort Gratiot → Closed (1870). Used until 1895.
Built by: U.S. Army
Military Use: Guard juncture of St. Clair River and Lake Huron.
Fort Gratiot was occupied by the army until 1822 and then abandoned as a fort. The army returned in 1828 and built framed structures including a hospital and officers quarters. The site was intermittently used until 1870 when it was abandoned again by the army. It was completely shut down in 1895.