Fort: Fort Detroit, Detroit, MI (1701)

Built (1701)Fort Detroit → Became

Built by: French

Military Use: Protect colonial settlements on both sides of the river.


Established on the west bank of the Detroit River (near Larned and Griswold) by French officer Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac. French colonial settlements developed on both sides of the river, based on the fur trade, missions and farms.

The fort was taken over by the British in 1760 and held by them until the Revolutionary War. {Wiki]