- The Milwaukee Jct. station was
described as a "grimy, two-story frame structure" which had a
waiting room, ticket office, train dispatcher’s office and an
office for the Superintendent of Terminals. It was a busy station.
STATISTICS: Miles of
railroads in operations this year: 1,638. Miles
built this year 313. [MRC/72]
Michigan Central completes its line between Eaton Rapids and
Grand Rapids via
January 1: First
train into Kalamazoo on the Kalamazoo & South Haven Railroad.
Leased to the Michigan Central on July 1, 1870.
17: The Ft. Wayne, Jackson & Saginaw open their line from
Reading, Michigan to Angola, Indiana. [MCR-75]
1: The Chicago & Michigan Lake Shore opens their line from
New Buffalo to St. Joseph. [MCR-75]
28: The Chicago & Michigan Lake Shore opens their line
from St. Joseph to Grand Junction. [MCR-75]
The Grand River Valley Railroad was completed from Hastings to
Grand Rapids. [MCR-75]
The Chicago & Michigan Lake Shore opens their line from Grand
Junction to Montague. [MCR-75]
The Michigan Lake Shore Railroad reaches Muskegon from Allegan.
The Kalamazoo & South
Haven leased in perpetuity to the Michigan Central. [MT]
June 22: The Grand
Rapids & Indiana open their main line from Fort Wayne to
Sturgis, Michigan. [MCR-75]
Summer: The Michigan Air
Line Railroad completes their line from Jackson to Homer.
August 12: The Grand Rapids
& Indiana open their line from Morley to Paris. [MCR-75]
Michigan Lake Shore Rail Road completes line from Ferrysburg
(near Grand Haven) to Allegan. [MRRC]
August or September: The
Grand Rapids & Indiana open their main line from Sturgis to
September: The Detroit,
Lansing & Lake Michigan open their line from Ionia to
Rapids & Indiana RR was completed from Fort Wayne, Indiana to
October 15: Service on the
Grand Trunk between Climax Prairie (now Climax) and Battle Creek
Rapids & Indiana RR completes line from Kalamazoo to Grand
Autumn: The Michigan Air
Line Railroad extends their line from Homer to three Rivers.
November: The Flint & Pere
Marquette open their line from Averills to Clare. [MCR-75]
December: The Grand Rapids
& Indiana opens their line from Paris to Clam Lake (Cadillac).
December: The Chicago &
Lake Huron opens their line from Emmett to Attica. [MCR/75]
December 5: The
Ft. Wayne, Jackson & saginaw open their line from Algona ,
Indiana to Ft. Wayne, Indiana. [MCR-75]
December 17: Kalamazoo
& South Haven (MCRR) completes line from Kalamazoo to South
December 29: The Flint &
Pere Marquette open their line from Clare to Lake.
December 31: Michigan
Railroad Mileage Totaled 1,739 miles. [MDOT]
December: Kalamazoo and
South Haven RR builds Bloomingdale's (current) depot.
Holly, Wayne and Monroe begins
building south from Holly. Reaches Monroe in 1872. [MRRC]
The Michigan Lake Shore Railroad
Company builds a line between Allegan and
Muskegon, via Holland. Offered to LS&MS but not purchased.
It was consolidated with the Chicago & West Michigan (later PM)
in 1881. [MRRC]
Flint and Pere Marquette reaches
"Lake" from Averill. [PM45] The COHS notes this
terminal being Reed City instead of Lake in 1870. [COHS-8/1997]
A four-mile long railroad from
Calumet to Kale Linden is built - first in the area. (~1870).
The Chicago & Northwestern opens
their line from Negaunee to Ishpeming. [MCR-75]
communities voted a total of over $1,000,000 in tax-supported bonds
to support railroad construction between 1863 and 1870 - [MDOT]
Jackson, MI leads the state in
the number of passengers served, 72,482 in one year.
[Jackson Weekly Citizen]
Rapids & Indiana Depot built in Kalamazoo. [IT-12/79]
Detroit, Grand Haven and
Milwaukee RR builds (current) depot at Grand Haven, the western
terminus of their line. [MHM/MRT-I]
Charlotteville Lumber Co.
abandons 7 mile long line in Berrien County. Built in
Nationally, there are 52,922
miles of railroad track. [STOV]
Lake Shore & Michigan Southern
builds a depot at Jonesville. Depot stands until at least
1974. This depot is on the line north to jackson via
Hanover and Horton. It is different than the depot on the
Old Road, which was built in 1898. [IT-12/1974]
Lake Shore completes its Elkhart
Tracks in Grand Haven are re-laid
allowing Detroit and Milwaukee Railroad trains to continue to
downtown Grand Haven over the river. [AAD]
Michigan's population, in the
1870 census is 1,184,282, an increase of 4.69% annually since
the 1860 census. [MCR/73]
Kalamazoo and South Haven Rail Road completes line from
Kalamazoo to South Haven. [MCR-75/MRRC]
February: Michigan Air Line
opens route from Three Rivers to Niles. [MCR-75/MRRC]
The Michigan Airline is also
completed north of Jackson between 1870 and 1871. [AAD]
April 17: The
legislature enacted a law requiring passenger train conductors to
announce the next station in all cars. [MDOT]
May 17: The
Detroit, Howell & Lansing completes its route from Detroit to
Plymouth. This line made its entrance into Detroit over
what is presently known as the West Detroit branch, and
connected with the Michigan Central at what is now known as West
Detroit. The original DH&L used the Michigan Central's 3rd
Street station until 1893. [COHS-2/1998][PM45]
May 30: The Flint
& Pere Marquette open their line from Wayne to Northville.
July 4: The DH&L
completes line from Plymouth to Brighton. [COHS-2/1998]
Hillsdale and Indiana Railroad opens line from Ypsilanti to
August 3: Detroit,
Howell & Lansing RR opens Detroit-Lansing line after separate
construction projects meet successfully in Fowlerville.
The line begins at West Detroit (Oak). [MCR-75/MDOT/COHS-8/1997]
July: The Jackson, Lansing
& Saginaw Railroad reaches Standish from Wenona (North Bay
August: The Detroit,
Lansing & Lake Michigan open their line from Greenville to
Coldwater and Lake Michigan opens line from Allegan to Montieth.
September: the Detroit,
Hillsdale & Southwestern opens their line from Saline to
September: The Flint & Pere
Marquette open their line from Lake to Evart. [MCR-75]
Note: [R&LHS-Winter/2000] shows the destination as Reed City,
September: The Grand Rapids
& Indiana open their line from Clam Lake (Cadillac) to Fife
October 8: Chicago Fire
begins. 3.5 square miles of city burns.
Michigan lumber replaces much of the town over the next thirty
years. The Lake Shore & Michigan Southern station at Van
Buren and LaSalle burns during this fire. The station was
November: The Flint & Pere
Marquette open their line from Evart to Reed City.
November 6: The Flint &
Pere Marquette open their line from Northville to Holly.
November 13: Detroit,
Lansing & Lake Michigan opens line from West Detroit to Lansing.
[MRRC] Note: [R&LHS-Winter/2000] notes the destination as being
at Howard City, passing Lansing.
Hillsdale and Indiana Railroad opens line from Saline to Bankers
(near Hillsdale). [MRRC]
December 12: Port
Huron and Lake Michigan Rail Road (later GTW) opens line from
Attica to Flint. [MRRC][MCR/75]
Rapids & Indiana RR completed line to Clam Lake (now Cadillac). [MDOT]
December: The Jackson,
Lansing & Saginaw Railroad reaches Wells from Standish.
The Chicago and Northwestern
Railway reaches the Menominee River from Green Bay. [MSL]
The Ionia and Lansing Railroad
builds from Kidd to Greenville. Later becomes the Pere
The Amboy, Lansing and Traverse
Bay Railroad is leased to the Michigan Central. Its line
extended from Jackson to West Bay City at the time of lease.
The Michigan Central
opens line from Bay City to Alger. [MRRC/AAD]
The Chicago and Michigan Lake
Shore Railroad builds a line from St. Joseph to Holland. [AAR]
[R&LHS-Winter/2000] notes the destination as Montague, not
stopping at Holland.
& Bay City Ry. formed.
miles of mainline track were built this year, the most ever in
Michigan in a single year - 1871 - [MDOT]
Supreme Court decided that the general aid law for railroad
construction was unconstitutional. [MDOT]
Detroit Car and Manufacturing Co.
is purchased by George Pullman; The works are enlarged to cover
the whole block between Croghan (Monroe) Street, St. Aubin and
Macomb streets, and the D&M railroad. Detroit becomes center for
Pullman car manufacture until he builds plant near Chicago.
Fires in Holland and Manistee
cause great damage to cities; forest fires destroy timber
from Lake Michigan to Lake Huron. [DWS]
A great file destroys much of the
Thumb area of Michigan. [BOM]
Detroit, Lansing & Lake Michigan builds a new depot
at South Lyon. Destroyed by fire in 1908. [MHM]
Michigan Central Railroad builds
a depot at Homer. Continues to exist as of 1974.
The Toledo, Ann Arbor and
Northern Railroad builds a new wood depot in Ann Arbor.
The depot continues to exist in 2001 and is used as a day care.
The Kalamazoo aand South Haven
builds a new wooden depot in Bloomingdale. The station is
used in 1999 as a visitor center for hikers on the nearby
The Michigan Central Railroad car
repair and manufacturing shops are relocated to Jackson from
Marshall. These shops will eventually employ 3,000
January 1: Chicago
& Michigan Lake Shore opens line from Montague to Pentwater,
and from Holland to Grand Rapids.
January 1: Flint & Pere
Marquette opens line from Wayne to Monroe. [MCR-75]
January 7: Northern Central
Michigan Railroad opens Jonesville to Albion line. [MRRC]
January 10: Michigan's
first Grange is organized. By 1875, 600 local Granges will
form throughout the state. The Grange movement will become one
of the leading lobbyists for railroad rate regulation.
January: The Detroit,
Hillsdale & Southwestern opens their line from Manchester to
February: The Detroit,
Lansing & Lake Michigan open their line from Ionia to Stanton.
May 9: Grand Rapids,
Newaygo and Lake Shore Rail Road opens line from Grand Rapids
north to Sparta. [MCR-75]
June 4: The Holly, Wayne &
Monroe Railway is opened and consolidated on the same date with
the Flint & Pere Marquette Railway. This company did not plan to
operate trains into Detroit because of ta lack of support from
Detroiters. The F&PM used the D&M Detroit depot until June
7, 1875. On that date, they began sharing the MC depot on
3rd Street. [EMR4]
June: The Grand Rapids,
Newaygo & Lake Shore open their line from Sparta to Casnovia.
July 23: Elijah
J. McCoy, a black inventor, raised in Ypsilanti, patented the first
automatic lubrication system for locomotives and other machinery, a
device so effective that it was difficult to sell imitations that
weren't "the real McCoy"; thus McCoy's name became
synonymous with anything genuine or authentic. [MDOT]
A disease spreads
through Detroit's horse population suspending streetcar service
and deliveries of milk, ice and eggs. [MT]
September 11: The Grand
Rapids, Newaygo & Lake Shore extend their line from Casnovia to
September 30: The Northern
Central Michigan Railroad extends its line from Albion to Eaton
Fall: The Peninsular Railway Company
completes its line from Battle Creek to South Bend, Indiana.
October 8: The Flint & Pere
Marquette open their Flint River Branch. [MCR-75]
October 8: Flint & Pere
Marquette opens line from McGrew (near Flint) to Otter lake.
October 31: Detroit & Bay
City Railroad opens line from Bay City Jct. (in Detroit) to
November 30: The Detroit &
Bay City opens their line from Oxford to Lapeer. [MCR-75]
November: The Detroit,
Hillsdale & Southwestern open their line from Hillsdale to
November: Car ferry
service between Sarnia, Ontario and Port Huron began with the ferry
Fall: The C&NW
opens its line from the Menominee River to Powers, reaching its
line to Escanaba which had already been built. [MSL/MCR-75/ATDC]
The Detroit & Bay City opens
their line from Lapeer to Oter Lake. [MCR-75]
rail line into Traverse City completed by the Pennsylvania Railroad
(Traverse City Railroad) from
Walton Junction. [MCR-75/MDOT/MRRC]
Houghton and Ontonagon Railroad completes line between Champion
and L'Anse. [MCR-75/SSJB/MSL/MRRC]
December: The C&NW line
between Escanaba and Powers is opened, and the first passnger
train operates between Escanaba and the Green Bay area. [ATDC]
Railroad line is completed from
Escanaba to Norway/Vulcan in the Menominee range. [DSL]
Detroit & Bay City opens branch
from Lapeer to northeast of Lapeer (near North Branch).
Abandoned in 1880. [MRRC]
The Chicago and Michigan Lake
Shore opens a line from Muskegon to Pentwater, and Muskegon
northeast (~this year). [AAD]
The Flint and Pere Marquette
completes its line from Midland to Reed City. [AAD]
This date is noted as 1871 by [PM45]
The DSS&A reaches L'Anse from the
The Mineral Range railroad
connects Hancock and Calumet. [AAD]
The Chicago & West Michigan Ry.
opens their line from Grand Rapids to Holland. They also
open lines from Holland to St. Joseph and St. Joseph to New
The Grand Rapids, Newaygo & Lake
Shore Railroad Co. opens a line from Grand Rapids to Newaygo.
Later comes the Chicago & West Michigan (PM). [PM45]
The Chicago & Canada Southern
opens their line from Blissfield to Fayette, Ohio. [MCR/75]
The Detroit Lansing &
Lake Michigan opens a 1.67 mile long line from
to Belding. [R&LHS-Winter/2000]
The Flint & Pere Marquette
Railway opens a 2.6 mile line from East Saginaw to South
Saginaw, and build a 1.41 mile long McGraw Spur. They
alsobuild 16 miles from McGrew to Otter Lake.
The IS&N Railroad opens a 23 mile
line from Stanton Jct. to Stanton. [R&LHS-Winter/2000]
The Saginaw Valley & St. Louis
Railroad (later F&PM) open a 28.6 mile long line from
Tittabawasee Jct. ot St. Louis. [RA-Winter/2000]
car ferry service on the St. Clair River began with
"International II" the first propeller-powered ferry on
the Great Lakes, making the crossing from Point Edward, Ontario to
Fort Gratiot. Ferry was the first three-track ferry (dual
gauge tracks). [MDOT]
of a Detroit River railroad tunnel commenced, but work soon
abandoned because of noxious gas and quicksand. [MDOT]
The Lake Shore opens new
facilities at Elkhart, eliminating the machine shope operations
at both LaPorte and Adrian. The car shop remained at
The Lake Shore begins
buying coal-burning locomotives, which begins the change over
from "wood burners". 28 coal burners were purchased this
The Lake Shore begins carrying a
Bible on each coach as a part of its regular equipment.
The practice was continued until 1892. [LS]
Flint & Pere Marquette depot at
Otisville is constructed. [COHS-7/1994]
Most locomotives were still
wood-burners at this time. The Michigan Central Railroad
burned 100,835 cords of wood this year alone. They also
burned 59,450 tons of coal but most railroads still burned wood.
Furnishing cord wood was important supplemental income for farm
families along the tracks. [AAD]
Maximum speeds for Michigan
Central Railroad trains was 28 m.p.h. Branch line trains
were limited to 20 m.p.h. or less. [AAD]
annual report issued by the Michigan Commission of Railroads. [MDOT]
First depot built in
Columbiaville (north of Lapeer) for the Detroit and Bay City RR.
Replaced in 1893. [MHM]
146 persons were killed or
injured in railroad accidents. [AAD]
The Lake Shore purchases 187
acres west of Toledo, for the purpose of building yards, shops
and an engine house. It will be known as "Airline
The Flint & Pere Marquette begins
running trains using trackage rights over the Michigan Central
from Wayne Jct. to Detroit. This arrangement lasts until
1891. Prior to the MCRR arrangement, the F&PM ran into
Detroit on the Grand Trunk via Holly from 1868 to 1872.
The Detroit Car Company builds an
extensive works on Adair Street. [HWC]
Menominee iron range opens.
January 1: Saginaw
Valley and St. Louis Railroad completes line from Paines to St.
January 13: Northern
Central Michigan Railroad opens line from Eaton Rapids to Lansing.
March 31: The Detroit & Bay
City opens their line from Otter Lake to Vassar. [MCR-75]
May 1: The Toledo and
Woodville Railroad (later in Ohio becoming the PRR) enters
Toledo from Tiffen, Ohio. It enters the city of Toledo in
the Stock Yards district, passing over the Cincinnati, Hamilton
and Dayton near the junction at East Toledo Station, and then
swings almost due north, passing over the Lake Shore's approach
to its Maumee River bridge. It then follows the east bank
of the Maumee north, opposite the Middle Grounds and Toledo's
downtown, before bridging the river. Their terminal area
is located on Summit Street, near the corner of Olive Street,
which was virtually at the end of the bridge.
Early: The Toledo and
Woodville (later PRR's) passenger station is fronted on Summit
Street while the freight depot was located across the track
adjacent to the river. A small yard ran northward along
the west bank of the river. Their terminal was equipped
with a turntable but no roundhouse or shops. These
facilities were developed on the east side of the river where a
new engine house was built and a church was purchased and turned
into a machine shop. [AATHS-Spr/2002]
May 1: Legislature
passes a law requiring trains to be equipped with air brakes and
that a bell or whistle must be sounded when approaching crossings. [MDOT]
May: The Jackson,
Lansing & Saginaw reaches Otsego Lake from Wells. [MCR-75]
June: The Canada Southern
tracks from Monroe reach the Wabash tracks in Toledo via the PRR.
July 21: The
Chicago & Michigan Lake Shore opens their line from Muskegon to
Big Rapids. [MCR-75]
July 31: Detroit
& Bay City Railway completed Vassar to Bay City line. [MCR-75/DWS/MRRC]
July: The Jackson, Lansing
and Saginaw reaches Gaylord from Otsego Lake. [MCR-75]
August 29: On the Detroit &
Milwaukee Railroad, near Muir, an express train was stopped due
to the loss of a driving wheel. The flagman did not go
back far enough, and another train struck the first killing four
passengers and injuring 14 more. [MCR/73]
September 18: Panic of
1873. Stock prices fall on news of investment banking firm
Jay Cooke & Co.'s failure; begins depression that lasts
through most of the decade.
September 1: Canada
Southern Ry. (Toledo Canada Southern and Detroit Ry. Co.)
complete line from Grand Trunk Junction (West Detroit) to Toledo. [MCR-75/MRRC]
September 15: On the
Detroit & Milwaukee Railroad near Lowell, four died and ten more
were injured when a train was thrown from a track by running
over a cow which had broken through a fence. The Coroner's
jury ruled that the accident was unavoidable, as far as the
railroad was concerned. [MCR/73]
September: Canada Southern
Bridge Company completes line from Slocum Jct. (Trenton) to
Stony Island (Grosse Isle). Abandoned about 1925. [MRRC]
October 11: Mineral
Range Railroad completes narrow gauge Hancock to Calumet line. [MCR-75/MDOT/CRH]
October 13: Peninsular
Railroad opens line from South Bend to Valparaiso, Indiana.
October 16: Central Market,
Cass Avenue and Third Street Railway Co. opens line in Detroit.
Chicago and Canada Southern Railway opens line from Slocum Jct.
(Trenton) to Blissfield [MCR/75][MRRC]
November 19: The Detroit
Transit Railway (East Side) is opened from a connection with the
Detroit & Milwaukee Road near Riopelle and Orleans to a point
1.5 miles away using street running. The line followed
Guion St. to Walker, across walker to Wight and up to the
Detroit Stove Works. The company became the Detroit
Manufacturers Railroad on January 30, 1902. It was leased
to the MCRR on April 1, 1902, because the MCRR did the most
business with the company. [EMR4]
December 7: Michigan,
Midland and Canada Railroad opens line from St. Clair to
December 18: Detroit and
Grand Trunk Junction Street Railway opens line in Detroit.
December 31: Michigan has
3,719 miles of track, operated by 47 railroads that are in
active operation or partly built. Of this amount, 55 miles
are double track, and 410 are of sidings. [MCR/73]
Central Michigan RR completed its rail line from Jonesville to
The Saginaw Valley and
St. Louis Railroad Company laid tracks from Paines Junction to
St. Louis, along side an adjacent plank road. [MHM]
Allouez Mining Co. builds 4'
gauge route 2.25 miles from Allouez Mine to stamp mill in
Keweenaw County. [MRRC]
The Canada southern completes
their line across Ontario. [NYC-Q1/1996]
Corner stone is laid for
Michigan's new Capitol Building in Lansing. Five
railroads, constructed over the last 10 years now serve the
Detroit's stagecoach lines cease
operations due to competition from railroads. [DWS]
Locomotive fireman organize.
Michigan Central builds depot at
Jackson. Longest living passenger depot in the United
Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad
builds new wooden depot at Clio. The station was used by
the railroad until 1960. It continues to exist in 1999 as
a museum. [MRP-I]
Grand Rapids & Indiana builds
depot in Kalamazoo. Depot continues to exist as of 2001.
Grand Trunk changes its tracks in
Canada to standard gauge. [IT-10/1972]
The Lake Shore purchases 160
acres of land east of Cleveland. This site becomes the
Collinwood yards and shops. [LS]
In an effort to strangle the
Wabash, the Lake Shore (under Vanderbilt control) bans all
Canada Southern rail cars from its tracks in Toledo. To counter
this embargo, the Wabash, Canada Southern[AATHS-Spr/2002]
The Lake Superior Ship Canal at
Portage Lake (Houghton and Hancock) was opened, allowing ship
passage across the Keweenaw Peninsula. [BOM]
The following roads built track
in 1873: Michigan Midland & Canada: 12; Mineral Range: 15;
Traverse City Railroad: 26; Chicago & Canada Southern
(including the Toledo,Canada Southern & Detroit): 90; Chicago &
Northwestern: 9; Detroit & Bay City: 35, Grand Rapids & Indiana:
79; and the Jackson, Lansing & Saginaw: 8. [MCR/73]
The Pennsylvania Railroad enters
Toledo from the east. [EMR4]
The Patterson Railroad builds
from Belding to Kidd. Later becomes the Pere Marquette.
The Saginaw valley & St. Louis
Railroad builds a line from St. Louis to Paines. It
becomes part of the Pere Marquette later. [PM45]
The Mineral Range Railroad
connects Houghton with Hancock. (by ferry?) [BOM]
Andrew Carnegie founds nation's
first large-scale steel plant in Braddock, Pennsylvania. [DWS]
26 Michigan railroads transported
9,631,230 passengers. Railroads owned 1,322 locomotives
and 30,675 railroad cars. (Including roads which also
operated out-of-state). [MCR/73]
Michigan railroads reported 825
miles of steel rail, with the remainder being of iron.
Some of this steel rail is operated outside of Michigan.
Steel rail is reported to last four times longer by the Michigan
Central and other railroads. The weight of rail per yard
varies, from 35 lbs. on the Mineral Range narrow-gauge track to
about 1/2 mile of 65 lbs. track on the St. Clair & Chicago Air
Line. Most larger roads use 60 lb. rail on their main
257 railroad accidents were
reported in 1873, with 94 fatalities. By far, the most
prolific of all accidents was caused by the coupling of cars.
48 persons were injured doing so, which is 19% of all people
reported injured in 1873. Coupling, "switching", and
"falling from train" were responsible for 32 percent of all
casualties and all but three of those so hurt were employees.
Kalamazoo's first Grand Rapids & Indiana depot burns to the
ground. It is replaced by a new depot which is still
standing at the same location. [MT]
May: Grand Rapids
& Indiana RR opens their line from Fife Lake to Petosky,
connecting that city from Fort Wayne. [MCR-75]
August 5: The Toledo and
State Line Railroad leases itself to the Pennsylvania. The
line runs from the PRR's Summit Yard on the waterfront to
September: The new Union
railroad bridge in Toledo (just north of the Lake Shore bridge)
is opened for service. The bridge was used by the Wabash
and Canada Southern, and to a lesser extent the Pennsylvania
(which had its own bridge north of this location). [AATHS-Spr/2002]
December 1: Flint
& Pere Marquette RR completes the line from Reed City to
East Saginaw and St. Clair
Railroad (controlled by Flint & Pere Marquette) opens line in
eventually going to Port Huron via. Vasser
Glencoe, Pinconning and Lake
shore Railroad builds east-west line from Pinconning to Glencoe.
January 25: The Chicago &
Michigan Lake Shore Railroad's engine 205 and a baggage car ran
off their track 1/2 mile north of Godfrey's mill siding, killing
the Engineer and injuirng the Fireman. [MCR-75]
May 27: C. Moore, an
employee of the Grand Trunk, stepped in between two cars to pull
the pin, and caught his foot in the frog. He was killed
instantly. The Coroner's jury ruled the case an accident.
In future years, the Michigan Railroad Commission required
railroads to affix a plank board in the frog to minimize this
common killer of railroad employees. [MCR-75]
June 3: First communications
transmitted by telephone by Alexander Graham Bell. [DWS]
June 7: The Flint & Pere
Marquette begin using the Michigan Central's 3rd Street Station,
giving up usage of the D&M depot. [EMR4]
June 30: The Flint & Pere
Marquette runs its passenger trains from Wayne Jct. to the MC Third
Street Station, using trackage rights on the MCRR.
July 14: The Pere Marquette
negotiates trackage rights on the Michigan Central tracks through
the City of Lansing, 1.08 miles of track. This agreement
covers the joint use of the union station. [PM45]
July 20: The Sandwich & Windsor
Passenger Railway began oprating from Windsor to Sandwich.
August 15: Chicago, Saginaw and
Canada Railroad opens line from St. Louis to Riverdale. [MRRC]
[MCR-75] lists this as St. Louis to Rosedale, not Riverdale.
September 24: Grand Rapids,
Newaygo and Lake Shore Rail Road completes line from Sparta to White
September 24: The Grand Rapids,
Newaygo and Lake Shore open their line from Newaygo to Morgan.
December 1: The Chicago,
Saginaw & Canada completes their line from Rosedale to Cedar Lake.
December 1: Mrs. A. Clark, a
passenger on a Chicago & Michigan Lake Shore train No. 3, fell or
walked off the rear of the train one mile north of Norris station.
"It is supposed she was partly asleep." [MCR-75]
First bridge between
Houghton and Hancock is built. Wooden frame with middle span
The Chicago, Saginaw & Canada
Railroad builds a line from Cedar Lake to Alma. Later becomes
part of the Pere Marquette. [PM45]
The Grand Rapids, Newaygo & Lake
Shore Railroad Co. opens a line from Newaygo to White Cloud.
Later becomes the Chicago & West Michigan (PM). [PM45]
The Chicago, Saginaw and Canada
Railroad opens a 20 mile long line from St. Louis westward to Cedar
Lake Shore & Michigan Southern builds
depot at Deerfield. Depot continues to exist as of 1974.
The Bay View Assembly is created near
There are 752 railroad stations in
the State of Michigan. Thirty five railroad corporations in
Michigan employ 14,691 employees in Michigan, a decrease from the
previous year of 1,344. [MCR/75]
SNAPSHOT: All no-logging
railroads in Michigan are 4' 8 1/2" in gauge, except for the
following roads: The Grand Rapids & Indiana and the Mansfield,
Coldwater & Lake Michigan railroads are 4' 9 1/4 incles; The
Hecla & Torch Lake is 4' 1" in gauge. The Mineral Range
Railroad is 3' in gauge. [MCR/75]
SNAPSHOT: Total number of
passengers carried in Michigan is10,716,227 with the average
distance being ttravelled at 45.86 miles. No passengers were
killed this year, but six were injured. [MCR/75]
SNAPSHOT: There were 201
reported accidents in 1875, 5 more than the previous year. 67
people dies and 134 were injured. 48 accidents resulted from
the coupling of cars, including five employees who lost their lives
and 48 who suffered injuries which "vary from bruising to severe
The Michigan Railroad Commissioner
takes up the issue of ventilation of passenger cars, for the purpose
of improving health and comfort of passengers. The
Commissioner reports that the Michigan Central is testing two
passenger cars with a device known as the "Winchell patent", which
may help car ventilation. [MCR/75]
SNAPSHOT: The Chicago &
Michigan Lake Shore Railroad rostered 25 locomotives, 3 snow plows,
18 passenger mail and baggage cars, and 602 freight cars. The
railroad has 82 stations, and employs 827 in Michigan.
SNAPSHOT: The Detroit and
Milwaukee Railroad owns 34 locomotives, of which 12 are equiped with
train brakes. They also own, 1 snow plow, 39 passenger,
baggage and mail cars and 448 other freight cars. This
equipment covers their line from Detroit to Grand Haven, 189 miles -
all single track. 68 miles are steel rail, with the remaining
iron. They have 35 stations and carried 366,622 passengers
this year, or about 1,000 per day. Six people were killed in
accidents on the road, including 1 passenger and 2 employees.
The Lake Shore begins service with
the "FAST MAIL", a dramatic and important improvement to the
development of railroads. The regularly scheduled express
train, from New York to Chicago, via the Air Line, included
all-white cars which were showy. Schedules were reduced from
36 to 26 hours. [LS]
August: The LS&MS
ceases to assign specific engines to individual engineers.
Fall: Chicago &
Lake Huron completes line between Flint and Lansing, making a
through line from Port Huron to Valparaiso, Indiana.
Paw RR merged with the Toledo & South Haven RR. [PMHS]
Flint & Pere Marquette builds a
pile dock and an adjacent warehouse to expedite privately owned
break-bulk boat service that had started in 1874. All
freight was transferred by hand from freight cars to the ships
and vise versa. This sort of service was continued during
the period from 1876-1882. [COHS-8/1997]
Russell Wheel and Foundry Co.
established by George H. and Walter S. Russel. Their
father, George B. Russell, founded Hamtramck's Iron Works to
manufacture first car wheels in the West. [DWS]
Congress establishes the standard
rate for transportation and handling mail on land-grant
railroads at 50%of regular rates for governmental passengers,
and 80% of normal postal rates. These were eliminated in
Detroit's population is 101,225.
Labor violence comes with a
strike which begins after many railroads lower wages 10%.
January 1: Chicago
and Northeastern Railroad opens line from Lansing to Flint.
January 28: The
Lake George & Muskegon River Railroad, Michigan's first logging
road, begins operation in Clare County. [MT]
Michigan Railway Guide was established as a monthly
publication by Emil Schober. [HWC]
June 9: The
Escanaba Tribune reports that a new water tank has been built at
Powers (also known as Station 42) for use on all C&NW lines
serving that station. [ATDC]
June 16: The Menonimee
Range railroad reaches Quinnesec from Powers. [ATDC]
July 17: Great
Strike begins when Baltimore & Ohio Railroad workers walk off
the job; sets off series of sympathy strikes and work
stoppages; national crisis. The strike was over by August
July 23: About 40 Michigan
Central yard men went on strike following a 10% wage reduction.
Fellow-workers left their jobs the next day. The MC
stopped receiving freight but there was no strike by trainmen.
MC workers in Jackson went on strike as well. It is not
clear whether trains actually stopped running. MC
officials met with workers at Windsor and agreed to a compromise
which increased wages. [AAD]
July 26: First telephone
conversation in State of Michigan takes place between the office
and a shed in the Detroit freight yard of the Michigan Central
August 17: The first train
reaches the Breen Mine, near Iron Mountain, on the Menominee
Range RR (C&NW). [ATDC]
October 1: Toledo & South
Haven opens 3' gauge line from Paw Paw to Lawrence. [MRRC]
line (eventually the Ann Arbor RR) completed to Cadillac. [MDOT]
C&NW opens branch line from
Powers to Vulcan and Quinnesec. [MSL/AAD]
In 1877 the Chicago &
North Eastern Railroad reached Durand from the west. [MHM]
Russel Alger company builds 3-4
mile long tramway northwesterly from Harrisville. [MRRC]
The Michigan Air Line is built
from Port Huron to Romeo. It was slowly extended, reaching
Jackson in 1883. [AAD]
The Chicago and Northeastern
Railroad completes a 48 mile line between Flint and Lansing.
The Toledo and South Haven, a
narrow gauge line is completed from Paw Paw westward some 9
miles to the town of Lawrence. It is 3' gauge. [AAD]
interests propose a Detroit River tunnel from Grosse Isle to Canada,
but work is never begun - 1877 - [MDOT]
S. Sheffield of Three Rivers invests a three-wheel, hand-pumped
"track velocipede" for use by track inspectors; his
company ultimately produced thousands for worldwide use. [MDOT]
Paw RR is converted from standard gauge to 3 ft. gauge after
being merged with the Toledo & South Haven.
& South Haven begin the experimental use of specially-built
3-foot gauge cars with trucks which could be used to carry
standard gauge cars without removing their standard gauge
trucks. This experiment lasted until 1881. [PMHS]
Commodore Vanderbilt passes away.
Son William Henry Vanderbilt expands and solidifies control of
his railroad empire. [MRRC]
As of 1877, the Lake Shore &
Michigan Southern continue to use a track gauge of 4' 10".
Adoption of standard gauge was slowed by the Great Strike (see
July 17th, above). [LS]
The Great Railroad Strike of 1877
Vanderbilt interests acquire
control of the Michigan Central. James Joy resigns as
Michigan Central Railroad builds
depot at Indian River. Depot exists as of 1974.
The present day town of
Wequetonsing was founded as a Presbyterian resort by the people
of Allegan. It is on the the GR&I between Petosky and
Harbor Springs along the lake shore. [BOM]
First telephones are
installed in Detroit. [DWS]
First use of telephones in U.S.
for railroad communications. [STOV]
Ephraim Shay, a Cadillac-area
lumberman, invents a novel solution to the problems that
traditional rod-driven locomotives encounter when trying to
negotiate steep grades and tight curves. He built an
experimental locomotive that served as the prototype for the
legendary Shay gear driven steam locomotive. It was more
powerful and less likely to spin its wheels on steep grades.
Spring: Russell A. Alger
and Company of Detroit completes 13 miles of railroad in Alcona
County, which utilizes 3 locomotives and 51 cars to transport
timber. Three other logging roads were constructed out of
Greenbush, one each way. [HI]
April 2: The Flint & Pere
Marquette secures trackage rights in perpetuity on the Jackson,
Lansing & Saginaw Railroad between Paines and Mershon (Saginaw),
a distance of six miles, in exchange for a flat payment of
$40,000. PM does not participate in maintenance or
operting expense of this section. [PM45]
line completed between Toledo and Ann Arbor [MDOT]
June 24: Vanderbilt
acquires control of the Michigan Central Railroad.
June: Toledo & Ann Arbor
opens line from Toledo to Ann Arbor. [MRRC]
June 17: Begin to lay track
of the Lake Huron and Southwestern Railway, west from Tawas City
to Whittemore/Prescott. It is financed half by logger C.
D. Hale and half by the citizens of Tawas City. It was 3'
2" in gauge. Originally the line used narrow strap iron
screwed to 2x4's and laid on timber flattened on top, the
rounded bottom lying in notched cross-ties some five or six feet
October 21: A fire destroys
the Michigan Central Railroad's fuel supply and seven railroad
cars in Dearborn. [MRC-10/1987]
December 28: Muskegon River
and Rose Lake Ry. opens 7.5 mile long, 3' gauge line.
Abandoned in 1881. [MRRC]
Charles D. Hale operates a 3 1/2
mile railway to the AuGres River, called the Lake Huron &
Southwestern Railway. [MRRC/HI]
Mackinac & Marquette RR incorporated to construct Marquette-St.
Ignace line - 9/3/1878 - [MDOT]
Grand Trunk builds depot at
Perry. Depot continues to exist as of 1974.
& South Haven RR is extended from Paw Paw to Lawrence. [PMHS]
William Addis builds private
logging railroad in Manistee County. [MRRC]
Alleyton & Big lake Railroad
builds 3' gauge road in Newaygo County (T13N R12 & 13W). [MRRC]
Beardand Co. builds a 10 mile
long private logging road from Alcona westward. [MRRC]
The Detroit, Lansing & Northern
Railroad builds from Stanton to Edmore. Later becomes a
part of the Pere Marquette. [PM45]
January 17: Fort
Wayne, Jackson and Saginaw Railroad completes line from jackson
to Fort Wayne. [MRRC]
March: Saginaw Valley & St.
Louis opens line from St. Louis (MI) to Alma. [MRRC]
May 12: Port Huron and
Northwestern Ry. opens line from Port Huron to Croswell. [MRRC]
May 16: The Toledo and Ann
Arbor Railroad is opened from Ann Arbor to Toledo. [AAD]
September 1: Hobart and
Manistee River Rail Road builds 9.2 miles from the south branch
of the Manistee River to Hobart (on the GR&I). 3' gauge.
Abandoned in 1890. [MRRC]
The wreck of Michigan
Central's "Pacific Express" at Jackson kills 18 passengers.
December 15: Flint & Pere
Marquette, under the name Saginaw & Mt. Pleasant, opens 3' line from Coleman to Mt. Pleasant.
Converted to standard gauge in 1888. [MRRC]
[COHS-2/1995] reports this 3' build date as December 9, 1879 and
the standard gauging date as July 13, 1884.
wrecks "Pacific Express" at Jackson, killing 18 passengers
- 10/10/1879 - [MDOT]
Mid 1879: Port
Huron & Northwestern Ry. line narrow gauge line completed
from Port Huron to Croswell. [PMHS]
Several logging firms begin
laying logging railroads north and northeasterly from the City
of Cadillac. One was extended to Round Lake in February, 1884.
Haslett Park (aka Pine
Lake, aka Lake Lansing) Station opens on the GTW. [ GTWHS 08/01]
& Mt. Pleasant RR is incorporated as a subsidiary of the
Flint & Pere Marquette and builds a line connecting Mount
Pleasant with the F&PM at Coleman. [PMHS]
The Saginaw Valley and
St. Louis Railroad Company extends tracks from St. Louis to
Hebard and Thurber (logging
interests) build private logging road in the area of L'Anse and
Pequamingg. Sold to Ford Motor in 1920. [MRRC]
The Chicago, Saginaw & Canada
Railroad builds a branch from Edmore to Lakeview, as well as a
line from Edmore to Cedar Lake. Later becomes part of the
Pere Marquette. [PM45]
The Saginaw & Grand Rapids
Railroad builds a line from Alma to St. Louis. Later
becomes part of the Pere Marquette. [PM45]
Thomas Edison invents
incandescent electric lamp.