RRHX

Station:  South Lyon, MI

Michigan's Internet Railroad History Museum

 

 

 

 

 

Oakland County Stations

County Menu

RRHX Home

MichiganRailroads.com

----------

South Lyon Page 2

Inside South Lyon's depot

----------

Grand Trunk Western

Pere Marquette RR

Chesapeake & Ohio

CSX Railroad

 

 

 

 

 

 

Other Photographs:

Other Information:

 

Above, a photo of the Witch's Hat depot at South Lyon, while it was under construction.  The depot replaced a smaller depot which had burned down.  [From the South Lyon Historical Society/Alan Loftis Collection]

Two more photographs at South Lyon by Charlie Whipp from the 1970's.  The photo above was taken of the depot from the east side of it.  The track in the foreground is the GTW Jackson line.  The C&O main line from Plymouth to Grand Rapids is behind the depot.  The photo below was taken from the Grand Trunk Western Jackson Subdivision right of way, looking south past the depot and across the Chesapeake & Ohio diamond.  (The diamond is beyond the depot.  What looks like a crossing before the depot is a road).  The interlocking signal post for the crossing is at the right.  The siding branching off to the left is the interchange track with the C&O. 

     South Lyon was founded in 1832 and was called Thompson's Corners.  In the same year, the surrounding township was named Lyon for Lucius Lyon a member of the State Legislature.  The village was given a name for its location within the township.  South Lyon was incorporated as a village in 1873 and as a city in 1930.

South Lyon was home at one time to three railroads. 

 

     In the summer of 1871, the Detroit, Lansing and Northern was built west from Plymouth on the way to Lansing and Ionia.  In 1880, the predessor to the Ann Arbor Railroad built a line into town from Ann Arbor.  The goal of this line was to continue on towards Pontiac but that did not occur under the original owners.  The line was pulled up around 1890.  - Article - In 1883 the Grand Trunk built their Jackson Branch from Pontiac to Jackson, which crossed the Pere Marquette near the elevator (photo above).  The GTW branch line continued to serve South Lyon until the early 1980's.  The branch line is now a paved bicycle trail through town and Reynold Sweet Parkway follows the original route.  Today, South Lyon hosts the CSX main line from Detroit to Grand Rapids, and a passing track is located there.

 

     After the first DL&N depot was destroyed by fire, the PM and GTW built a union station to serve both roads.  The depot used a "witch's hat" design, which was also used at a few other locations in Michigan.  In the mid-1970's, the depot was moved from its track-side location and became the center piece of a historic park in the City about 1/2 mile away.