This double track Strauss single-leaf bascule bridge was originally used by the New York Central railroad on their line between Detroit and Toledo. It is 125 feet clear span with a square crossing. It provided for two tracks and was designed for Cooper's E-70 loading with full impact allowance. It replaced an existing swing bridge which was erected in 1887 when the Rouge River was widened to accomodate lake freighter traffic to Ford's Rouge complex. The project was paid for with an appropriation of Congress in the sum of $490,000. The total cost of the project was $541,000. The channel depth below is 21 feet below the normal water level. Information from Railway Age, 9/17/1920.
Photo info/credit: Taken from the west looking east. [Dale Berry]